Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
The fully online MPH program prepares you for a career as a public health professional working to improve health care planning, delivery, assessment, and outcomes. You will gain experience that relates directly to current public health challenges including primary care, nutrition, mental health, and substance abuse.
You will gain experience that relates directly to current public health challenges including primary care, nutrition, mental health, and substance abuse.
Public health professionals and practitioners work in the public, private, and non-profit sectors to improve health outcomes for individuals and communities. Professionals in the public health field can expect to:
- Use a broad range of disciplines to assess and address complex public health issues.
- Conceptualize, develop, and evaluate population health interventions.
- Conduct public health research to advance scientific knowledge.
- Advocate, evaluate, and/or study health care policies and delivery systems.
- Apply culturally sensitive strategies to address health disparities among diverse populations.
- Use health information technology and data analytics to address public health concerns.
- Improve population-level health by applying interdisciplinary theories and concepts.
- Plan and execute programs or initiatives to improve public health outcomes at the regional, national, and international levels.
The online public health graduate program exposes you early on to real-world situations and challenges in public health today. You will work under the guidance of faculty who are experienced in the fields of health care, policy, and leadership. Our faculty have extensive experience helping students learn the skills needed to become effective public health professionals in private, public, or non-profit health industries.
The program focuses on the needs of students who have substantial experience in the fields of community health, medical services, or health education.
Scholarship Available to MPH Applicants
The John and Elizabeth Leonard Family Foundation MPH Scholarship awards recipients $5,000 toward their first year of study. Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 385-8064 for information about eligibility criteria.
The Master of Public Health (MPH) program at Fisher is an applicant for accreditation with the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). CEPH accreditation ensures that an MPH program meets the highest standards of quality and professionalism or a master's level graduate education in public health. The date of initial accreditation will be either 1) the date on which our application was accepted by the Council or 2) the date on which the most recent extension of applicant status was granted. The Council assigns the date of initial accreditation during the Council meeting at which the accreditation decision is made.
Public Health Career Outlook
Since 2020, the pandemic has resulted in steady demand for public health professionals in the United States. While academic positions have decreased, new opportunities for public health graduates have arisen in government, pharmaceutical, and insurance industries as communities and businesses respond to the ongoing crisis. Due to continuing vaccine and treatment development, employment opportunities in clinical research have grown substantially from the pre-COVID era. Additionally, new leadership positions in various industries provide another option for graduates with management training or experience.
For a detailed analysis of recent changes in the public health field, read the special report "A Comparison of Workforce Taxonomies with Job Postings Before and During the COVID‐19 Pandemic" in The International Journal of Health Planning and Management.
Life After Fisher
You'll be prepared for meaningful employment for careers in the public health arena including:
- Health department official
- Hospital or clinic health administrator
- Public affairs officer for a health department, hospital, or clinic
- Health policy analyst for public or private agencies
- Health trends analyst for a health insurance company
Forecast 2022: Fisher Faculty Talk with Dr. Michael Mendoza, the Commissioner of Public Health for Monroe County
The Online Master of Public Health program recently hosted Forecast 2022, a webinar featuring Monroe County Public Health Commissioner Dr. Michael Mendoza and faculty of the program about what 2022 may hold for Monroe County and beyond.