- Office:WEGPHR 239
- Phone:(585) 899-3733
Board Certified Pharmacotherapy SpecialistEducation:
Infectious Disease Residency, University of Pennsylvania Hospital (Philadelphia PA)
Pharm.D., University of Buffalo
B.S.Pharm., University of Buffalo
Dr. Avery received her bachelor's degree in pharmacy and Pharm.D. from the State University of New York at Buffalo. After completion of her residency in infectious diseases at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, she worked as an assistant professor at the State University of New Jersey at Rutgers, with a clinical site at Princeton Medical Center. Prior to starting at Wegmans School of Pharmacy in 2008, as an associate professor of pharmacy practice, she was a clinical manager at St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Syracuse, New York.
Dr. Avery provides clinical pharmacy services and precepts fourth-year pharmacy students at St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center in Syracuse. She is part of the infectious disease consult service and leads the antibiotic stewardship team at the hospital. Dr. Avery is a preceptor for the St. John Fisher University/St. Joseph’s Hospital PGY1 residents for both their infectious diseases and academic rotations, and she helps coordinate the teaching certificate program available for area residents. She is on the board for the Syracuse chapter of Health Systems Pharmacists and a member of multiple state and national pharmacy organizations.
Dr. Avery’s research interests include antibiotic stewardship, clostridium difficile, and antibiotic use in the geriatric population.
- Avery L, Zempel M, Weiss E. "Case of antibiotic-associated diarrhea caused by Staphylococcus aureus enterocolitis." AJHP 2015;72:943-951.
- Claeys K, Smith J, Casapao A, Mynatt R, Avery L, Shroff A, Yamamura A, Davis A, Rybak M. "Combination Daptomycin and Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole on Clinical Outcomes in Methicillin-Resistant S. aureus Infections." Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2015;59(4):1969-76.
- Woodruff A, Jensen M, Loeffler W, Avery L. "The Use of Advanced Screencasting and Embedded Assessment to Create Hybrid Pathophysiology and Therapeutics Modules." AJPE 2014;78(6): Article 128.
- Avery LM, Hasan M. "Fecal Bacteriotherapy for Clostridium difficile infections -Its time has come" (invited article). Clin Microbiol Rev 2013;35:119-124.
- Avery LM, Steed ME, Woodruff AE, Hasan M, Rybak MJ. "Daptomycin-Nonsusceptible Vancomycin-Intermediate Staphylococcus aureus Vertebral Osteomyelitis Cases Complicated by Bacteremia Treated with High-Dose Daptomycin and Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole." Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Nov;56(11):5990-3.
- L. Avery. "Central Nervous System Infections." Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program 7th Edition, Book 9 Infectious Diseases 1/2012.
- Hasan, M, Avery, L. Rawling, R. Granato,P. "Aspergillus fumigatus Endocarditis Complicating Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator." Infection Clin Microbiol Rev, 2012.
- Avery L, Pfeiffer C, "CNS Infections." Herfindal, ET, Gourley, DR, and Hart, LL (eds). Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, ed 7. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 2000.
- Rosser LM, O'Donnell AM, Lee LM, Morse G. "In Vitro Protein Binding Characteristics of Atevirdine and its N dealkylated Metabolite." Antiviral Research 25 (1994) 193-200.
Awards and Honors
- Teacher of the Year, P3 class, Wegmans School of Pharmacy, 2015
- NYS ACCP, Educator of the Year, 2014
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, St. John Fisher College, Teacher of the Year, P3 class, 2013
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, St. John Fisher College, Preceptor of the Year, 2012
- Rho Chi National Pharmaceutical Honor Society
- Hoescht-Roussel Pharmaceuticals Pharm.D. Award
- CNY Society Health Systems Pharmacist – Excellence in Pharmaceutical Care Award, 2002
- New Antibiotics: Where do they fit in therapy? Western New York Health System Pharmacists, Buffalo, NY– September 23, 2015 - 2 hour CE program.
- Antibiotic Stewardship in the Geriatric Population. NY American Society of Consultant Pharmacists Mid-State Chapter Meeting and Education Day. Syracuse, NY June 4, 2015 – 1 hour CE program.
- Antibiotic Stewardship in the Geriatric Population. Rochester Society of Health-System Pharmacists/The Pharmacy Society of Rochester, Rochester, NY March 21, 2015 – 1 hour CE program.
- Antibiotic Prescribing: What’s Unique in a Geriatric Patient? Presented to long term care pharmacists, physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants. St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, Syracuse, NY June 18, 2015– 1 hour CE program.
- Improving Use of Antibiotics in the Community Setting. Onondaga County Pharmaceutical Society, North Syracuse, NY, July 27 2014 – 2 hour CE program.
- Recurrent Clostridium difficile: What are our options. Western New York Health System Pharmacists, Buffalo, NY February 8, 2014 – 1 hour CE program.
- The Role of the Community Pharmacist in the Treatment and Prevention of MRSA and C. difficile. Onondaga County Pharmaceutical Society, North Syracuse, NY, 7/2013.
- Recurrent Clostridium Difficile, Presented at: Central New York Society of Health-System Pharmacists Conference, Syracuse, NY 9/2012.
- Treatment of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) Infections: New guidelines, agents, and strategies to optimize patient outcomes. Presented at: Western New York Society of Health-system Pharmacists Conference, Buffalo, NY 5/2012.
- Clostridium difficile: Collaborating to Reduce Infection through Antibiotic Stewardship, 10/14/2011 St Joseph's Hospital Health Center Reducing Antimicrobial Errors through Antibiotic Stewardship: Focus on Staphylococcal Infection, 2009, NYS ACCP Fall Meeting.
- Gram Negative Infections – What are our options?, Clinical Pearls – 2007, CNY Chapter of NYSCHP.
- A look beyond culture results, 2006, NYS Chapter of ACCP.
- Why do we do what we do? A look beyond the guidelines. Clinical Pearls 2005, CNY Chapter of NYSCHP.
- Safety of Fluoroquinolones, Pharmacists/Physicians, Syracuse, NY 2005.
- Intravenous to Oral Therapy, What's Appropriate, Utica, NY 2003.
- Drugs Used in Type 2 Diabetes, May 2000. Noon Conference, St. Joseph's Hospital, Syracuse, NY.
- Oral Antibiotics, June 1997. Grand Rounds. St. Joseph's Hospital, Syracuse, NY.
- Pharmacy Services, August 1997. Noon Conference. St. Joseph's Hospital, Syracuse, NY.
- Drug Interactions in Critical Care, November 30, 1995. Presentation to Trenton Regional Association of Inservice Nurses, Critical Care Course.
- Overview of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, November 30, 1994. Continuing Education Program, Rutgers University, Livingston College Student Center.
- 2015 Faculty Research Awards Program (FRAP) in collaboration with Dr. Pierce. Project Title: Wegmans School of Pharmacy P4 Residency Preparation Seminar. Funding: $2,100
- 2014 Faculty Research Awards Program (FRAP): Probiotic bacteria susceptibility to commonly prescribed oral antibiotics $ 2,000.
- CareFusion Foundation: Clinical Excellence Grant Program Collaborative, $50,000.
- Collaborative Pilot Program to Reduce C. difficile rates in a Long-term care Environment.
- Collaborated with A. Woodruff: Review of the piperacillin-tazobactam dosing in obese patients. New Investigator Award from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) for $10,000.
PHAR 5257 - Pathophysiology & Therapeutics IV
- Bugs and Drugs I, II
- Central Nervous System
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Antibiotic Monitoring
PHAR 5524 - Drug Interaction Elective
- Antimicrobial Drug Interaction
- Food/Nutrient Interactions