Ph.D., M.S., University of Rochester
B.S., National Autonomous University of Mexico
- BIOL 107 - Microbes & Disease
- BIOL 199 - Philosophy of Science
- BIOL 214 - Microbiology
- BIOL 311 - Cell Biology
- BIOL 330 - Advanced Cell Culture and Bioengineering
- BIOL 357 - Nanobiology
- BIOL 418 - Immunology
Trained as an immunologist, Dr. Ontiveros is interested in a multidisciplinary approach that blends his expertise with concepts and tools from the fields of bioengineering, cell biology, microbiology, and remote sensing.
There are currently four lines of research in his laboratory:
- Use of lipid-based nanoparticles to understand the molecular basis of inflammation and to explore novel ways in which drug delivery and vaccination can become more effective.
- Building of a microbial flora database to enable the detection and prediction of bacterial populations in bodies of fresh water using satellite imagery.
- Development of a low cost approach to 3D printing of biocompatible hydrogel scaffolds for tissue and organ construction.
- Educational and research uses of film-based ultra thin microfluidic devices (PETLs) developed in the laboratory.
Dr. Ontiveros' Recent Publications
- Rapid Fabrication of Custom Microfluidic Devices for Research and Educational Applications, Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2019. Co-authored with Megan Levis, Jonathan Juan, Anthony Kavanagh, and Jeremiah Zartman.
- Microfluidics on the Fly: Inexpensive Rapid Fabrication of Thermally Laminated Microfluidic Devices for Live Imaging and Multimodal Perturbations of Multicellular Systems, Biomicrofluidics, 2019. Co-authored with Megan Levis, Nilay Kumar, Emily Apakian, César Moreno, Ulises Hernández, Ana Olivares, and Jeremiah Zartman.
- Implementation and Assessment of Student-made Microfluidic Devices in the General Chemistry Laboratory, Journal of Nano Education, 2016. Co-authored with Kermin Martinez Hernandez and Nahyr Rovira Figueroa.
- Semen-Derived Enhancer of Viral Infection (SEVI) Binds Bacteria, Enhances Bacterial Phagocytosis by Macrophages, and Can Protect against Vaginal Infection by a Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Pathogen, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 2013. Co-authored with David Easterhoff, Lauren R. Brooks, Yoel Kim, Brittany Ross, Joanna S. Olsen, Changyong Feng, Dwight J. Hardy, Paul M. Dunman, and Stephen Dewhurst.
- Transient Hypercapnia Reveals an Underlying Cerebrovascular Pathology in a Murine Model for HIV-1 Associated Neuroinflammation: Role of NO-cGMP Signaling and Normalization by Inhibition of Phosphodiesterase-5, Journal of Neuroinflammation, 2012. Co-authored with Jharon Silva, Oksana Polesskaya, Walter Knight, Johnny Ting Zheng, Megan Granger, Tenee Lopez, Changyong Feng, Chen Yan, Karl Kasischke, and Stephen Dewhurst.
- Il-1 Generated Subsequent to Radiation-induced Tissue Injury Contributes to the Pathogenesis of Radiodermatitis, Radiation Research, 2012. Co-authored with Matthew Janko, Thomas J. Fitzgerald, A. Deng, Maria DeCicco, and Kenneth L. Rock.
- Type-I IFN Supports Primary CD8+ T Cell Responses to Peptide-Pulsed Dendritic Cells in the Absence of CD4+ T Cell Help, Immunology, 2011. Co-authored with Elizabeth B. Wilson and Alexandra M. Livingstone.
- The Sterile Inflammatory Response, Annual Review of Immunology, 2010. Co-authored with Kenneth L. Rock, Eicke Latz, and Hajime Kono.
- Uric Acid Promotes an Acute Inflammatory Response to Sterile Cell Death in Mice, Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2010. Co-authored with Hajime Kono, Chun-Jen Chen, and Kenneth L. Rock.