- Office:WEGPHR 308
- Phone:(585) 899-3831
Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Board Certified Pediatric Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Pediatrics Residency, University of Michigan Hospital (Ann Arbor MI)
Pharmacy Practice Residency, The Ohio State University Medical Center (Columbus OH)
Pharm.D., University of Buffalo
B.S., St. John Fisher College
Dr. Hutchinson received his Pharm.D. from the University of Buffalo. He continued his pharmacy practice training by completing a pharmacy practice residency (PGY1) at The Ohio State University Medical Center and a pediatrics residency (PGY2) at the University of Michigan Hospital and Health Centers. In 2008, Dr. Hutchinson joined the Wegmans School of Pharmacy as an assistant professor of pharmacy practice.
In addition to his faculty responsibilities, Dr. Hutchinson provides clinical pharmacy services and precepts fourth year pharmacy students at Golisano Children’s Hospital at the University of Rochester Medical Center. He is also serves as a preceptor for the PGY1 & PGY2 residency at the hospital. Dr. Hutchinson’s expertise is in pediatric pharmacotherapy, nutrition, and management of patients with cystic fibrosis. He is active in local, state, and national pharmacy organizations.
Dr. Hutchinson's research interests include stability of compounded products, academic assessment, and pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of antimicrobial agents in pediatric patients.
- Enoxaparin Reduces Catheter Associated Venous Thrombosis Following Infant Cardiac Surgery, The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, September 2022. Co-authored with Michael F. Swartz, Sierra D. Stauber, Eileen R. Taillie, George M. Alfieris, and Jill M. Cholette.
- The R3S: A modern approach to predicting substance recidivism in liver transplant candidates, Experimental and Clinical Transplantation, September 2021. Co-authored with Sam C. Leistman, Jennifer I. Melaragno, M Katherine Dokus, John A. Martens, Mary A. Salter, Roberto Hernandez-Alejandro, Bandar Al-Judaibi, and Mark W Nickels.
- Escalation in Therapy Based on Intravenous Magnesium Sulfate Dosing in Pediatric Patients with Asthma Exacerbations, Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology & Therapeutics, May 2020. Co-authored with Christine A Kapuscinski, and Sierra D Stauber.
- Stability of extemporaneously prepared sodium benzoate oral suspensions, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding, July-August 2018. Co-authored with Julia R Atkins, Melinda E Lull, and Andrew S Decker.
- Stability of extemporaneously prepared cinacalcet oral suspensions, American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, May 2018. Co-authored with Kara Thomson, and Lipika Chablani.
- Methadone and QTc Prolongation in Pain and Palliative Care Patients: A Case Control Study, Journal of Palliative Medicine, July 2018. Co-authored with Katherine M Juba, Tina M Khadem, and Jack E Brown.
- Pediatric Education across U.S. Pharmacy School: What is being taught and how?, American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, April 2014. Co-authored with William Allan Prescott Jr and Elizabeth M Dahl.
- Inhaled Aztreonam Lysine: An Evidence Based Review, Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy, October 2013. Co-authored with Meghan Barclay, William A Prescott, and Jack Brown.
- Stability of Diluted Adenosine in Latex-, PVC-And DEHP-Free Infusion Bags, Hospital Pharmacy, June 2013. Co-authored with Elise Almagambetova, Danielle M Blais, and Fang Zhao.
- Monocarboxylate Transporter Inhibition with Osmotic Diuresis Increases Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate Renal Elimination in Humans: A Proof-of-Concept Study, Journal of Toxicology, November 2011. Co-authored with Marilyn E Morris, Bridget L Morse, Gloria J Baciewicz, Matthew M Tessena, Nicole M Acquisto, and Robert Dicenzo.
- Respiratory syncytial virus prophylaxis in special populations: Is it something worth considering in cystic fibrosis and immunosuppression?, Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics, April 2011. Co-authored with William A. Prescott.
- Stability of diluted adenosine solutions in polyvinyl chloride infusion bags, American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy August 2011. Co-authored with Melissa Kaltenbach, Jessica E Bollinger, and Fang Zhao.
- Treatment of Hypervolemic or Euvolemic Hyponatremia Associated with Heart Failure, Cirrhosis, or the Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone with Tolvaptan: A Clinical Review, Clinical Therapeutics, June 2010. Co-authored with Carrie Nemerovski.
- Stability of extemporaneously prepared rufinamide oral suspensions, Annals of Pharmacotherapy, March 2010. Co-authored with Yayin Liou, Robert Best, and Fang Zhao.
- Stability of moxifloxacin in an extemporaneously compounded oral liquid, American Journal of Health System Pharmacy, April 2009. Co-authored with Cary E Johnson and Kristin C. Klein.
- Human papillomavirus disease and vaccines, American Journal of Health System Pharmacy, November 2008. Co-authored with Kristin C. Klein.
Awards and Honors
- Recipient, Best Paper Competition from 2015 ACCP Global Conference. Katherine Juba, Tina Khadem, David Hutchinson, Jack Brown.
- Methadone and QTc Prolongation in Pain and Palliative Care Patients: A Case Control Study. Presented at The American College of Clinical Pharmacy Global Conference on Clinical Pharmacy. October 2015. San Francisco, CA
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College, Teacher of the Year, 2013-2014
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College, Preceptor of the Year, 2012-2013
- University of Rochester Medical Center Department of Pharmacy, Preceptor of the Year, 2011 - 2012
- New York Chapter of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy Educator/Preceptor of the Year, 2011
- Teacher of the Year, Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College, 2010 - 2011