IACUC Student FAQs

Get answers to all your questions about the IACUC process.

Why do I need IACUC approval to do my research?

In order to comply with the requirements of the Animal Welfare Act and other applicable federal and state regulations, all research or teaching using live vertebrate animals conducted under the auspices of Fisher must be submitted to the IACUC for approval.

Which projects need IACUC approval and which do not?

Any project which involves using live vertebrate animals for either research or teaching purposes needs prior IACUC approval before you begin.

When should a proposal be submitted?

Animal research protocols must be submitted to the IACUC at least two weeks before the intended protocol will begin to ensure there is enough time for complete review and/or modifications to be made.

May I begin working with animals before IACUC approval?

The investigator is required to wait for approval from the IACUC prior to initiation of the research study. This means no work can begin using animals until after IACUC approval. Beginning work prior to approval can lead to suspension of your protocol and future animal usage.

Do I need to do training to work with animals?

Effective 6/1/19, all faculty, staff and students conducting research or teaching that involves live vertebrate animals must complete the necessary CITI training prior to IACUC approval.

Who do I contact with additional questions?

Contact your research mentor or your class professor who will guide you through the process. Additional questions can be addressed to the committee via IACUCcommittee@sjf.edu.