Biochemistry Program Requirements for 2022-2023
Biochemistry-specific classes, as well as introductory and upper-level biology courses, bolster a slate of intensive chemistry courses and labs you are required to take as a biochemistry major.
The introductory course sequence CHEM 103C, 103L, 104C, 104L is intended to prepare students for all subsequent chemistry courses. The Department of Chemistry strongly recommends that a student enrolling in CHEM 103C has a minimum Scholastic Aptitude Test score of 500 on the mathematics section of the test, a minimum ACT score of 21 on the mathematics section of that test, or a mathematical background that has prepared the student for MATH 119C or a higher-level mathematics course. If the student does not meet any of these criteria, the department advises that the student delay entering CHEM 103C and take sufficient mathematics to prepare for enrolling in MATH 119C.
B.S. in Biochemistry
A grade point average of 2.00 is required for all major courses. For students majoring in biochemistry, all courses that are required for the major program are included in determination of the grade point average in the major.
- CHEM 103C – P4 General Chemistry I (3)
- CHEM 103L – General Chemistry Lab I (1)
- CHEM 104C – General Chemistry II (3)
- CHEM 104L – General Chemistry Lab II (1)
- CHEM 201 – SQ Organic Chemistry I (3)
- CHEM 201L – Organic Chemistry Lab I (2)
- CHEM 202 – Organic Chemistry II (3)
- CHEM 202L – Organic Chemistry Lab II (2)
- CHEM 250 – Sophomore Seminar (1)
- CHEM 315 – Analytical Chemistry I (3)
- CHEM 315L – Analytical Chemistry Lab I (2)
- CHEM 365 – Physical Chemistry I (3)
- CHEM 365L – Physical Chemistry Lab I (2)
- CHEM 408 – Biochemistry I (3)
- CHEM 410 – Biochemistry Lab I (1)
- CHEM 409 – Biochemistry II (3)
- CHEM 411 – Biochemistry Lab II (2)
- CHEM 449 – Seminar Preparation (0)
- CHEM 450 – Seminar (1)
- BIOL 151 – General Biology I with Lab (4)
- MATH 120C – P4 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 122C – P4 Calculus II (4)
- PHYS 141 – General Physics Workshop I (4)*
- PHYS 142 – General Physics Workshop II (4)*
- Electives (10-12)
Electives may be chosen from CHEM and/or BIOL at the 300 level or above and must include one laboratory course.
Total: 69-71 credits
*PHYS 121C or 131C if previously taken, may automatically substitute for PHYS 141; likewise, PHYS 122C or 132C if previously taken, may automatically substitute for PHYS 142.
Note: The program requirements listed are for the current academic year. Past and future program requirements may differ. Visit the catalog website to access current and past catalogs.