Student Employment Process and Paperwork

The following is a step-by-step guide to the student employment process. After you have found and accepted a position:

  1. You and your supervisor will complete a Student Employment Form [pdf].  You are responsible for completing Section 1.  Your supervisor completes Section 2. All information must be provided.
  2. Bring the completed Student Employment Form to the Payroll Department for approval. You may need to complete additional employment paperwork at that time: I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form [pdf] presenting acceptable identification documents, NYS Notice and Acknowledgement of Pay Rate and Pay Day Form, NYS Employee Opt-Out of Paid Family Leave Benefits Form, W-4 Federal Tax withholding form [pdf], NY IT-2104 State Tax Withholding form [pdf] or Direct Deposit Request Form [pdf]. Refer to descriptions of necessary paperwork below for explanations of the documents mentioned in this step.
  3. Once the Student Employment Form has been approved and processed, your supervisor will receive an email from the Payroll Department. At that time, you may begin working.
  4. Payroll is processed bi-weekly.  Each pay period you will complete an electronic time sheet for the hours you have worked for the dates displayed.  Detailed instructions are available on the Web Time Entry page.  You will submit your electronic time sheet to your supervisor for approval by the due date and time determined by your supervisor and/or the Payroll Schedules [pdf].
  5. Pay day arrives. If you have elected direct deposit, payroll funds will be in your bank account(s) on pay day morning. You can view your direct deposit payroll information on the Employee Services module of Fish 'R' Net. If you did not elect direct deposit, your paycheck will be mailed to your legal mailing address. If a paycheck is lost, destroyed, stolen, or stale dated and must be replaced, contact the Payroll Department.

Descriptions of Necessary Paperwork

Please be prepared to complete necessary employment paperwork while at the Payroll Department office. In addition to your completed Student Employment Form, you will need to fill out the following:

  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form [pdf] – You cannot start working until this form is completed and all supporting documentation required by the Department of Homeland Security has been presented. Most students present an unexpired driver's license or school ID card with photograph along with a Social Security card or an original/certified copy of their state-issued birth certificate. A complete list of acceptable documents is included with the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form.
  • NYS Notice and Acknowledgement of Pay Rate and Pay Day form - This New York State form is required for each position held.  It provides information concerning your employment as an hourly employee.
  • NYS Employee Opt-Out of Paid Family Leave Benefits form - You may not qualify to receive this benefit as part of your employment with the University.  This form provides the opportunity to opt-out of participating.  By returning the completed form, no deduction will be withheld from your pay.
  • W-4 Federal Tax Withholding form [pdf] and NY IT-2104 State Tax Withholding form [pdf] – You can choose to complete withholding forms to designate your payroll tax withholding.  Return completed forms to the Payroll Department. If you do not complete payroll tax withholding forms, the Payroll Department will automatically set your payroll tax withholdings at Single (W-4) or Single/Zero allowances (NY IT-2104) level. Please see the Student Payroll Taxes section, below, for more withholding information.
  • Direct Deposit Request Form [pdf] (if applicable) – Your bank’s name and your account and routing numbers are required to set up this option.

Student Payroll Taxes

All earnings are subject to federal, state, and local income taxes, including federal work study and University non-work study. However, if you are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours during the academic year (fall and spring semesters), your work study and non-work study earnings are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA).

New student employees who elect not to complete payroll tax withholding forms (Federal W-4 form and/or a NY IT-2101 form) will automatically be withheld at the single/zero allowances level.

The University also will automatically withhold payroll taxes at the single/zero level for returning student employees who elect not to complete payroll tax withholding forms with each new academic year. A new Form W-4 (federal tax form) and/or IT-2101 (NYS tax form) must be completed to request withholdings other than the single/zero level.

Please review your individual tax situation to determine an appropriate withholding status. Links to the federal W-4 and/or state NY IT-2101 forms are available on the Payroll Documents and Forms page.

See the Student Employment Handbook [pdf], under Employment Paperwork for more information.