Skip to content

Human Resources FAQs

Below you'll find answers to some of the most common questions we receive about benefits, retirement, staffing, and other topics. If you have a question not addressed below, feel free to contact us!


Get answers to questions about your benefits, qualifying events, and more.

How do I change my name on payroll records and all of my benefits?

You will need to bring in your new social security card to the Human Resources Department (Kearney 211) in order to process your name change. If you have TIAA, you will need to complete a Notice of Change of Name Form through the TIAA website.

How can I update the information on my direct deposit?

You will need to complete a Direct Deposit Request Form [pdf] and return it to the Payroll Office, Kearney 217.

I need to update my tax withholdings. What form(s) will I need to complete?

Federal: To update your federal withholding, complete a W-4 Form [pdf] and return it to the Payroll Office, Kearney 217.

State: To update your state withholding, complete an IT-2104 Form [pdf] and return it to the Payroll Office, Kearney 217.

How do I make changes to my benefit elections?

You can only make changes to your benefit elections during open enrollment or if you have a qualifying event. Please contact the Human Resources Department at x8048 or for further information.

What is a qualifying event?

A qualifying event allows employees to make certain changes to their benefit elections outside of open enrollment. Examples include: marriage or divorce, birth or adoption of a child. For a complete list of qualifying event status changes, please see the Employee Handbook [pdf], Enrollment Changes, Section E2.3 – E2.4.

How soon should I inform HR if I have a qualifying event?

Employees have 30 days from the date of the qualifying event (i.e. birth, adoption, marriage, divorce, or loss in coverage) to make necessary changes. Paperwork must be completed in a timely manner if there are additions/changes in insurance coverage.

If I have a qualifying event, can I change health care plans?

You cannot change health care plans if you have a qualifying event. This can only be done during open enrollment. You can only add/drop dependents or a spouse from your plan or update your flexible spending, life insurance, or voluntary AD&D as the result of a qualifying event.

What is my current balance in my Flexible Spending Account (FSA)?

Contact Discovery Benefits Flexible Spending Customer Service Department at 1 (866) 451-3399 for balance information.

How do I update beneficiary information for retirement or life insurance?
  • To update life insurance, you can log into with the username and password you created during open enrollment or when you were first eligible for benefits. If you need assistance with a password reset, you can contact Human Resources at (585) 385-8048. Once logged in, click on My Profile located under the blue banner. On the left hand side of this page, select Beneficiaries. From there, you can edit your beneficiaries. Please contact the Human Resources Department with any questions.
  • To update your beneficiaries for supplemental AD&D, please follow the steps above for life insurance and scroll to the Supplemental AD&D offer and repeat editing steps. Please contact the Human Resources Department with any questions.
  • To update your beneficiary information with TIAA-CREF, please contact them directly at 1 (800) 842-2252.
How do I submit reimbursements for my medical or dependent care?

You can complete a Reimbursement Request Form through Discovery Benefits or use your debit card provided by Discovery Benefits. For more information on how to use your debit card, visit the Discovery Benefits website, or contact them at 1 (866) 451-3399.

How do I get a replacement benefit ID card for medical or dental?

Contact Excellus at 1 (800) 499-1275 for medical insurance ID cards.


What is the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides certain employees with up to 12 work weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave a year. Please refer to the Employee Handbook [pdf], Section E8.1 for more details or contact Human Resources.

What is disability insurance? (For staff employees only)

Disability insurance is designed to protect employees against income loss due to non-work related accidents or illnesses. For further information on disability, please contact the Human Resources Department.

What is the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)?

The program provides free, confidential, and professional assistance to help employees and their families resolve problems that affect their personal lives or job performance. These problems may include alcohol or drug abuse, marital difficulties, financial or legal problems, emotional difficulties, or parent/child issues.

For more information, please use the contact information below.

EAP Contact Info
Phone: (585) 475-0432


Get answers to questions about your retirement benefits through TIAA.

How often can I change the amount that I contribute to my retirement plan?

You can change the amount you contribute once each calendar quarter.

How do I change the way I have my funds invested in my retirement plan?

Contact your plan administrator directly.

  • TIAA – 1 (800) 842-2252
How do I take a loan out of my retirement savings?

Please call 1 (800) 842-2252 to initiate the process and speak with a TIAA representative.

You can also log into with your username and password to initiate the process. Please note it typically takes five to seven business days to process a loan request and checks are sent directly to the employee's home address.

Loans from TIAA are repaid through an employee's bank account and not through a St. John Fisher University payroll deduction. 


Get answers to questions about applying for a job, posting a job, and more.

How can I find out what the salary range is for a position on campus?

Salary is discussed during the phone screening stage of the staffing process. At that time, the University representative will ask your salary expectations.

How do I post a position for my department?

Faculty: All faculty ads need to be sent to the Provost's Office for review and approval. The Provost's Office will submit approved materials to HR for posting.

Staff: All staff positions will need to be routed around for approval electronically. Please contact Human Resources for further instructions.

Tuition Remission

Get answers to questions about tuition remission, tuition exchange, and more.

Do I need to fill out a tuition remission form each semester?

Yes, every semester a tuition remission form will need to be completed, including summer sessions for the employee, spouse and or/ dependent. For more information, refer to E13 in the Employee Handbook [pdf] for further terms and conditions of this benefit.

Do I need to bring in my current tax forms every semester?

Yes, both HR and/or Financial Aid will need this information.

Can my spouse/dependent take classes at Nazareth College or Fisher?

Nazareth: Your spouse/dependent child will need to register for classes with Nazareth College and notify the HR Office at Fisher. The HR Office will prepare a letter for you to take to Nazareth stating that you are eligible for this benefit. You become eligible for this benefit after one year of service with Fisher and must be classified as a full-time employee.

Fisher: Your spouse/dependent child will need to register for classes with Fisher and complete a tuition remission form. You become eligible for this benefit after one year of service with Fisher and must be classified as a full-time employee.

When do I become eligible for the tuition exchange benefit?

An employee becomes eligible after three years of service with Fisher and is classified as a full-time employee. Please contact the Director of Freshman Admissions for more information on this program at (585) 385-8142. Details on the program can be found in the Employee Handbook [pdf] on page E15.


Get answers to questions about work injuries, changing contact information, and more.

How do I change my address?

Complete a Change of Address Form [pdf] and return it to Human Resources, Kearney 211.

What do I need to do if I get injured at work?

Notify Safety & Security, your supervisor, and HR immediately. An Accident Report Form [pdf] will need to be completed and forwarded to HR for processing.

Key Phone Numbers and Websites

Medical Benefits

Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
(800) 499-1275 or
(585) 454-8410

Health Savings Accounts (HSA)

HSA Bank
(855) 731-5213

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

Discovery Benefits (WEX)
(866) 451-3399

Dental Benefits

Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
(585) 454-8410

Life Insurance/AD&D

The Hartford
Group Benefits Division, Customer Service
Hartford, CT 06194-2999
(800) 523-2233


(800) 842-2776

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

UR Medicine Employee Assistance Program
(585) 475-0432