Services and Policies
Students who plan on taking advantage of the services provided by the Writing Center must agree to abide by the policies listed below.
The Writing Center reserves the right to refuse tutoring services to anyone who has violated these policies.
- Students must bring work to, and be active participants in, their tutorials. We do not allow students to drop off papers for proofreading.
- Tutorials may not exceed one hour.
- Tutors may also be available for walk-in visits.
- Tutors are prohibited from giving opinions about grades.
- Tutors work with writers during all stages of the process.
- All tutees must have a current Fisher ID number.
- Turn cell phones to a quiet setting.
Graduate Writing Services and Policies
Graduate tutors provide online consultations in real-time via Zoom as well as asynchronously via Google Docs and email.
Types of Consultations
- Prewriting: 30-minute consultations to help writers focus and plan topics
- Revision: 30-minute consultations on drafts
- Students must submit drafts prior to the meeting with focused questions
- The consultant will read and review the draft and prepare comments on the rhetorical aspects of the essay (thesis, organization, development) prior to the meeting
- Academic voice
- The consultant will advise about lapses in academic-objective voice
- Consultation time may not be used for composing
- Tutors will not proofread and/or copyedit for writers
- Limit of 4 hours per month per student
Smarthinking services are available for many common writing questions, including:
- Grammar and punctuation questions (comma usage, colons/semicolons, etc.)
- Citation questions (i.e. in-text and Reference list formats, identifying reference elements and variations)
- APA paper format (layout, title page, general structure/organization)
Ask a Librarian
Librarians can help you find articles, books, and other sources; provide assistance with citing your sources; and more.