Frequently Asked Questions Related to Accessibility

The following are answers to common questions related to accessibility and accommodations at St. John Fisher University.


Does Fisher provide services for students with disabilities?

Yes, accommodations and services are provided for students with documented disabilities to provide equal access to educational programs and services in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended (ADAAA).

Accommodations are determined on an individual basis using disability documentation and in consultation with the student.

Learn more about academic accommodations and residence hall accommodations.

Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities?

No, the admissions process and criteria are the same for all students applying to Fisher. Disability status is not a consideration in the admissions decisions.

Contact the appropriate Admissions Office (First-Year, Transfer or Graduate) for information regarding the application process and to arrange a campus tour. A tour is strongly suggested to evaluate the accessibility of the campus based on your individual circumstances.

Will I automatically be granted accommodations if I have a diagnosis?

A diagnosis alone does not qualify you for accommodations. You must document the existence of an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, the current impact of your impairment and how it affects your ability to function in an academic setting, along with a rationale and objective basis for the requested accommodations.

Learn more about the process to request accommodations and guidelines for supporting documentation.

Does Fisher provide diagnostic testing services?

No, Fisher does not provide diagnostic testing services.

It is the student’s responsibility to locate and pay for independent testing. Student Accessibility Services can provide a list of area professionals available to conduct private testing services.

Should I send my disability documentation with my application?

No, documentation should be submitted with a completed Disability Accommodation Request and Release of Confidential Information [pdf], only after you have been accepted to Fisher.

What documentation is required to receive disability accommodations?

Documentation must be current and comprehensive. Please refer to Supporting Documentation Guidelines for more information. Please note that eligibility guidelines and accommodations may differ from your high school or other college you have attended. If you are unsure if your documentation is sufficient, contact the Student Accessibility Services coordinator to discuss the matter before being reassessed.

Who will know about my disability if I register with Student Accessibility Services?

Information from disability documentation is held in a confidential file and is shared only on a "need to know basis." The accommodation process requires you to disclose disability status to faculty and staff as needed to adapt courses, equipment, or facilities to ensure equal access. You are not required to disclose your specific diagnosis to your instructors.

What accommodations and services will I be eligible for?

Fisher provides academic accommodations as supported by your documentation of disability and as required by ADA legislation to ensure equal access. Appropriate accommodations are determined on a case by case basis through an interactive process between the student and the student accessibility services coordinator.

Typical accommodations may include alternative testing arrangements (extended time, quiet location, use of a word processor), access to an electronic textbook or note taking assistance.

Learn more about academic accommodations and residence hall accommodations.

Are tutoring services available?

Writing Center tutors provide assistance with all writing assignments, and the Math Center tutors provide assistance with most math courses, as well as some computer science, statistics (including economics and psychology), chemistry, and physics courses.

Tutoring services are free of charge to all Fisher students. "Walk-ins" are welcome but subject to consultant availability. The Centers are located on the top floor of the Golisano Academic Gateway.

Peer tutoring in other 100 and 200 level courses is also available free of charge through the Writing and Tutoring Center.

Is there a fee for disability accommodations?

Students are responsible for aids or assistance of a personal nature such as wheelchairs, hearing aids, computers for home use, or attendants for services of a personal nature including assistance with life coaching.

How do I request accommodations?

In order to evaluate requests for academic and non-academic accommodations, follow the process to request accommodations.