Building Security

At St. John Fisher University, we strive for a safe campus along with security in our academic buildings and residence halls. We can only do this with the help and cooperation of all faculty, staff, and students.

Please practice these actions daily to ensure everyone's safety:

  • Carry your Fisher ID with you at all times.
  • Do not prop exterior doors; this allows for easy access to unwanted strangers.
  • Do not hold the door for strangers. Ask them to swipe in or call the person that they are visiting to come and let them in.
  • If you see suspicious activity, notify security immediately.

All residence halls at the University are locked 24 hours a day. Residents can access their assigned residence hall with their swipe card. All other facilities will be locked whenever possible, depending on use and scheduling.

No one may place a lock on a campus facility, interior or exterior, or transfer their keys to another person without the express permission of the director of safety and security or his designee.

Security officers conduct periodic foot, bicycle, and vehicle patrols of all campus buildings, grounds, and parking areas.

Building Access

All campus facilities are locked and unlocked daily according to established schedules available at the Office of Safety and Security.

The residence halls are locked 24 hours a day and are patrolled and monitored by security officers and/or resident assistants. All resident students are encouraged to keep their room doors and bathroom doors locked when out or asleep. For more information, refer to Residence Hall Fire & Safety page.


Any employee who needs to enter a locked campus building or office for work duties before or after lock-up who does not have a key or ID must request access from Safety and Security. Employees must be prepared to identify themselves to a security officer. Access to high-security areas will require prior written permission from the director of the appropriate department.


Students requesting access to a building after it is locked must be on a pre-approved access list at Safety and Security and must show a current Fisher ID card. A faculty or staff member responsible for that area must forward updated lists to security at the beginning of each semester.

Lost Keys and IDs

If you have lost your ID card, you must go to the Office of Safety and Security for a new card. There is a $15 charge for new ID cards. In addition, if you have lost any University key, except for a residence hall key, you must report it immediately. If you have lost a residence hall key, you must see your residence director.