GIDDN Fellowship Applicant Criteria
Fellowship nomination is by self-selection. Applications for the Fellowship will be reviewed by a member of the GIDDN Fellowship admission committee.
Many fellowship applicants are enrolled in or have completed a graduate program in nursing. However, candidate selection is based on identified strengths and their potential to make a significant contribution to the advancement of ID/DD nursing. The admission committee will consider all candidates holistically, rather than just by academic history and degree conferred.
- Interest in developing additional expertise in working with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and the issues that affect their lives.
- Expertise, commitment, or scientific/practical contribution in a domain related to the area of interest.
- Knowledge and skills beyond the novice stage.
- A wish to grow in their personal or professional life to be considered a thought leader and champion for individuals and other stakeholders affected by ID/DD.
- Possession of a positive attitude, confidence, sense of humor, empathy, humility, listening skills, discretion, and patience.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills that will maximize the value of this experience in the applicants’ subsequent roles as leaders and influencers committed to building a healthier and more equitable future for the nation.
Fellowship nomination is by self-selection. Application for the fellowship will be reviewed by a member of the Golisano Fellowship admission committee, whereby the majority of the members are of the opinion the nominated person fulfills the intended criteria:
- Professional and/or educational achievements
- Potential for leadership in health policy
- Potential for future growth and career advancement
- Potential for significant contributions to improving health, equity, and well-being for individuals with ID/DD and other stakeholders in the nation
- Individual plans for incorporating the fellowship experience into specific career goals
- Interpersonal and communications skills
- Writing sample (Letter of Interest)
If you feel that you are an ideal candidate who is not adequately described above, please contact the Golisano Institute Director, Dr. Dianne Cooney-Miner, at email@example.com, to schedule a telephone or video appointment.