Media and Communication
Communication professionals—filmmakers, journalists, writers, and advertising creatives—are in the business of telling stories. Join their ranks by enrolling in Fisher’s media and communication program where you will be challenged to produce professional quality work as you prepare for a variety of media careers.
The media and communication major offers you the opportunity to work with faculty and other talented students like yourself in small seminar and lab classes, engage in faculty research and creative projects, and be mentored into the media professions. Required coursework includes communication theory, diversity and media, media law and ethics, video storytelling, journalism, and public speaking. The department offers electives in film and television production, advertising, journalism, and public relations. You may also complete several internships, enroll in courses connected with community-engaged learning initiatives, and participate in numerous networking opportunities.
Class sizes within the program generally range from 10 to 30 students.
The program emphasizes experiential learning. In this major, you should expect to present your work in a variety of formats, including oral presentations, social media postings, or video essays. All students pursuing internships complete a professional portfolio. You may also choose to participate in a mentoring program where students are paired with alumni to discuss career opportunities and preparation. Additionally, eligible students may complete an honors senior project: professional-level independent work under the mentorship of a professor.
In keeping with the highly interdisciplinary nature of a Fisher education, the media and communication major requires a minor taken in another department or program. The film and television studies minor is a popular choice.
Life After Fisher
The supportive environment of the media and communication program will leave you well prepared for whatever career path awaits you. Graduates of the program have obtained positions as:
- Research Program Manager, Instagram
- Photo Campaign Manager, Original Documentary Films & Series, Netflix
- Managing Supervisor, DCG Communications, Washington D.C.
- Coordinator for Production, All3Media, Los Angeles
- Director of Communication, The Little Theatre
- Producer, WXXI-TV
- Vice President of Communication, Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Executive Producer, 13WHAM-TV
- Senior Editor, Huffington Post
- Assistant Managing Editor for Design, Politico
- Director of Strategy and Engagement, Partners + Napier
- Communications and Marketing Manager, Cayuga Health Systems
- Sports Reporter, Niagara Gazette
- Senior Public Relations Manager, Amazon
- Senior Vice President, Butler/Till