Next Generation Leadership Institute
Seize your destiny. Shape your future.
Do you aspire to become a confident, effective, well-prepared leader — ready to guide your family business operation to outstanding new levels? Are you looking for a robust, professional program that helps you chart a thrilling leadership journey? The Next Generation Leadership Institute at St. John Fisher University prepares the rising stars in your family’s enterprise to grow to their fullest potential as senior leaders.
The Institute is ideal for family business managers who are on track to assume a top leadership role. As a participant, you will learn from regional business leaders and top family business experts. You will also receive personalized coaching, goal-setting, and career planning.
As an Institute participant, you will gain insights into:
- The unique challenges and opportunities for families in businesses
- The future of your family's business and your role in it
- Your family business culture and how to build - and maintain - cohesion
- What responsible ownership in a family business looks like
- Crafting your own leadership development program that leverages your strengths and identifies key areas for attention
“I jumped at the opportunity to join the NextGen Leadership Institute peer group at Fisher. Being surrounded by individuals who share my passion for family business has been a unique and energizing experience.” - Holly Rund, retail and HR manager, Kittelberger Florist & Gifts
Institute Content Overview
Using the “Three Circle Model” developed by Dr. John Davis, the Institute will focus on preparing you to develop stronger relationships with all stakeholders – family, business employees, and owners, as well as build self-knowledge and awareness.
Examples of specific topics include:
- Values, vision and mission analysis
- Transition planning
- Family dynamics 101
- Difficult conversations and triangulation
- Conflict management
- Financial and strategy basics
- Business governance 101
- Responsible stewardship principles
- Legal responsibilities
A St. John Fisher University Executive Education Certificate will be awarded upon completion.
Participating in the 12-month Next Generation Leadership Institute at St. John Fisher University includes 10 sessions at Fisher's Rochester campus. The experience will prepare you and your family for active and responsible leadership roles now and in the future. You will join a peer group led by Fisher faculty and expert coaches, all in a confidential environment. Learn how to present and process issues relevant to your firm, and gain skills related to giving and receiving feedback. Relevant family business content will be provided throughout the program, including follow-up activities and accountability action items.
The 12-month Institute cost is $6,000 and includes 10 sessions with your cohort, and personalized coaching, goal-setting, and career planning.
- Complete online application
- Applicants will be informed of acceptance into the Institute via email
- Payment from accepted participants will be accepted beginning Thursday, Feb. 1; final payment due no later than Friday, March 1
- Cohort begins March 2024