TEACH Certification Application Instructions
New York State Education Department (NYSED) requires candidates who are completing teacher/ leader certification programs to apply online – through the TEACH system – for certification(s).
Create an Account to LOG-IN to TEACH
Enter the TEACH online services site via the Office of Teaching Initiatives website and select “Create a NY.gov TEACH Account.” Step-by-step instructions are provided.
The TEACH online system allows you to:
- Apply for a certificate
- Check the status of your application(s)
- View/update your profile (update address, request a name change or social security update)
- View your certification record (evaluations and issued certificates)
- View/update your professional development record for your professional certificate(s)
- Apply for a duplicate certificate
The TEACH Online Services system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Create and Maintain Applicant Profile in TEACH
Enter your personal information and maintain information (education information, work experience, etc.) before you apply for a certificate.
Apply for Certificate in TEACH
- Select Area of Interest—Classroom Teacher or Administration and Pupil Personnel Services or Classroom Teacher Extensions
- Select Subject Area
- Select Grade Level
- Select Title
- Select Type of Certificate
- Enter the Program Code (See Program Codes and Pathways)
- Make Payment—List of Application Fees
- TEACH automatically selects the pathway for you. The pathway selected is the Approved Teacher Preparation Program
- When applying for additional certifications the pathway should be the Approved Teacher Preparation Program: Additional Certificate Pathway. In TEACH additional certifications will appear as pending until the first certification is issued.
- If TEACH does NOT select the Approved Teacher Preparation Program –Additional Certificate You will need to contact NYSed for a representative to change this for you.
- To change a pathway in TEACH: Email NYSed at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Pathway Change” in the subject line. Include the following information in the email:
- Full name that is on your TEACH account
- Date of birth OR the last four digits of your Social Security number
- Which application you are referring to and the correct pathway to change it should be Approved Teacher Preparation Program –Additional Certificate.
Request and Submit Transcripts
After graduation complete the two-step process to request and submit transcripts required for certification.